The Department of Animal Science was established as one of five academic Departments of the School of Agriculture, College of Agriculture and Natural Sciences, UCC. The Department runs academic Programmes at both the undergraduate and post-graduate levels. It has a Rabbitry, Aquaculture Unit and also runs a Meat Processing Unit to offer Teaching, Research and Extension services to the general public.
The Department runs the following tailor-made short courses for farmers and would be farmers, on quarterly basis:
- Pig Production and Processing as a business
- Layer/Egg Production as a business
- Meat Processing as a business
- Rabbit Production as a business
- Livestock and Poultry Feeding Strategies and Feed Milling Practice